Thinking about a Career in Real Estate?
Watch this video:
Are You Ready for a New Career?
The real estate business is filled with many exciting opportunities. It gives you the opportunity to help others, to enjoy freedom and independence, to use your personal strengths, and to obtain financial security.
If you want to earn a good living, meet interesting people, and have flexible hours, real estate may be the career for you. Many people have found a real estate career to be both personally and financially rewarding, and you can too.
Is the Real Estate Field for Me?
A real estate career is a business, your business. You can start your business without the large start-up expense typically needed to start a business. In most cases, you will be an independent contractor. There will be no boss telling you what to do, you set your own hours and come and go as you please.
Do I Have What it Takes to Succeed?
The real estate business is not for everyone. In order to succeed, you need to be a self-starter, motivated and persistent. You must be able to plan and more importantly, work your plan. Above all, you must be able to handle rejection. To find out if you have what it takes, answer and consider the following questions:
- Am I willing to research the initial costs involved for licensing such as dues, fees, professional equipment and insurance?
- Will my savings or an alternate source of income prepare me to wait several months before my first check comes in, or do I require an immediate income?
- Is my wardrobe adequate to begin my new career?
- Do I have a clean well-maintained car available on a daily basis?
- Have I considered what is involved in balancing my real estate schedule and my family time?
- Am I willing to commit the time necessary to succeed? Am I willing to work evenings and weekends?
- Is my family supportive of my career decision? Do they understand the unpredictable nature of the business?
- Is my health and energy level adequate for the demands of the profession?
- Are there any personal problems or commitments that might interfere with my career goals?
What Can I Expect To Earn?
As mentioned earlier, you will be in business for yourself, and your income depends on you and the area of real estate you practice.
How Do I Get Started?
The real estate profession is regulated by the state government and requires licensing.
Click here for the Illinois Real Estate License Requirements
It’s also a good idea to talk with a real estate office manager in your area to get details as to what the specific requirements and opportunities are. As part of our service to our students, we will be happy to refer you to exceptional real estate companies in your area. Please call 630-307-3493.